Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Its not on the test

When i told my friend that I was researching high stakes testing, he told me about a website called "Its not on the test" http://www.notonthetest.com/ Please check it out. It is primarily a music video by Tom Chapin (not ashamed to admit i was in a music video of his when i was a young child.) Though the song is very political, the site and the song talks about all of the areas of learning that students are missing out on because of legislation like NCLB. While I as a mad science teacher focus primarily on the lack of science my students get. (some classes get as much literacy instruction in a day that they get science in a week.) Tom is mostly referring to the decrease in the arts in our public schools. WHAT DECADE ARE WE IN!?! WASN'T THERE A DRAMATIC CUT IN THE ARTS ALREADY? Before we know it all we will be teaching is math and literacy, nothing else!

No comments: